Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stumbling and Redemption

The other day I was struck by our frailty and our finiteness as human beings. I was struck by it in the context of peers reading Scripture. As Christians, we all go to the Word in brokenness, and it heals us, speaks to us, and changes us no matter what we bring to it. Working through the Word, the Holy Spirit speaks to our spirits and transforms us into the likeness of Jesus more and more. Not only this, it gives us hope, reminding us of the glorious day when we shall see Him face to face and be like Him. We know, but only in part now. How wonderful when we will know fully because we will be fully known.

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37:23-24

If "stumble" in the above passage is a reference to sinning, then the "Lord delights in a man's way" must not refer to someone being perfect and the Lord delighting in this independent perfection. No, I believe the answer lies earlier in the chapter:

"Trust in the Lord and do good, dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." Psalm 37:3-6

And in some verses following:

"The days of the blameless are known to the Lord, and their inheritance will endure forever. In times of disaster they will not whither; in days of famine they will know plenty." Psalm 37:18-19

The Lord delights in us trusting Him, committing our way to Him, and delighting in Him, not being perfect independently.

"In your ways oh God, redemption is so much better than perfection. In your ways oh God, over and over you prove yourself faithful. Over and over you prove yourself a redeemer." Kristene Mueller, Redemption

"Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." Luke 7:47

My unworthiness of God's grace necessitates my acceptance of it. I am holy and blameless in His sight. This is such a hard truth to believe, especially when we stumble. My shame and guilt are taken away by His gaze. When I am in God's gaze, God is beside me, giving me the strength to diffuse lies. He is always for my best self-interest - mirroring the glory He bestows on me back to Him. Praise God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different note, I want to share some cool music. The video below is the music of a "hang instrument," which is something I saw a lot of last summer and summers before abroad. I find it really relaxing. Enjoy!



1 comment: